The one-room school house was built on Cemetery road in Ashantee, which is a small hamlet of Avon. District No. 11 served the community of Littleville, which was at that time a thriving industrial settlement along the Conesus Outlet. The Avon Rotarians researched the history of the Scout House for the 2006 Corn Fest publication, A SENSE OF PLACE, and discovered that the original school building was built in 1846. That structure was adjacent to the Cemetery on the south side of the Outlet and cost $350. The site had been purchased from H[erbert] Wadsworth’s father for $50. At the annual meeting in 1900, Mr. Wadsworth offered to build a new building for the district with a reversionary clause, but the trustees turned the offer down. The District continued to use the old building until 1902, when a new building was built on the site.
THE OUTSIDE OF THE SCOUT HOUSE THAT WAS DONATED TO ROTARY
The Town Historian has a reprint from a program held Sunday, October 16, 1949, “Dedication Ceremonies to Present THE FORMER LITTLEVILLE SCHOOL HOUSE to THE AVON GIRL SCOUTS AND BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA for their permanent use as a clubhouse.” The brochure also contains a section thanking various taxpayers of the former Littleville School District for donating their share of the sale of the school property.
The district schools in Avon centralized in 1943. Two of the teachers who taught at District 11 were Belle Sutton (early school) and Francis Moran, who went on to become a professor at Notre Dame University. His relatives still reside in Avon.
ONE CORNER OF THE MAIN LEVEL OF THE SCOUT HOUSE
The Avon Rotary Club utilized the property of the Scout House to construct a building where they could store the booths and various accoutrements of the annual Avon Rotary Corn Festival. The Boy Scouts now help with the Corn Festival in 3 ways: Picking Corn early in the morning; hauling trash throughout the day of the Festival; maintaining the grounds around the new building.
NEW BUILDING BUILT BY ROTARY TO HOUSE CORN FESTIVAL PARAPHERNALIA
The Avon Rotary Club dedicated the scout house to Harold Sonny Cole Jr (Located next to the front door is a dedication plaque, which you can see along with his bio here). He was Scoutmaster for Troop 26 for 3 years and received many awards from Rotary for his actions in the community.
The scout house is currently being used and abused by us (the Boy Scouts) and the Cub Scouts of Avon. The Avon Rotary Club remains the Chartering Organization for Cub Scout Pack 26 and Boy Scout Troop 26. The Scout House is mainly used by the Troop, but there are various Den Meetings also held throughout the week at the Scout House. In addition to the main room, we also utilizes a quartermaster room (once the kitchen of the school house), the basement, and even an upstairs for storage and Patrol meetings.
Main room- The main room is used for general meetings and campout planning. Sometimes cub scouts use the room for their meetings. The main room has many Scouting posters and pictures both new and old.
Quartermaster room- The quartermaster room is where we keep all of our equipment such as pots and pans, tents, dining flys, stoves, and rope. We keep everything we need for a campout or meeting in this room.
Downstairs-The basement is where we store our canoes during the winter months and other equipment that is too large or bulky to keep in the quartermaster room (And our friend named Larry, who’s actually in the photo below, Shhh).
Upstairs- The upstairs is used occasionally for rank advancement, greenbar meetings, and Patrol meetings. The Greenbar Meetings are held monthly and involve the Scoutmaster and the youth leaders of the Troop (the Senior Patrol Leader, the Assistant SPL, and the Patrol Leaders). This is when the Troop Leaders get together and plan the month’s activities. The upstairs is small and mainly used for storage of the candles and supplies for the Luminaries.